“Every election starts and ends with the Secretary of State” – Spencer Danner
Any attempts to defraud our democracy deserves attention. Voter identification is an important issue. That is why as Secretary of State, I am committed to implementing Automatic Voter Registration with the DMV.
As Secretary of State, I support Automatic Voter Registration; a policy that requires photo identification, reduces the potential for voter fraud, boosts registration rates, cleans up the rolls, and makes voting more convenient, all while lowering costs. Since March 2015, twelve states plus the District of Columbia have authorized the policy. Although the Nebraska Secretary of State office says there have been only two documented cases of voter ID fraud in Nebraska the last twenty years, I am committed to ensuring Nebraskan’s that we will work hard to prevent all cases of voter fraud. Automatic registration makes two transformative, yet simple, changes to the voter registration process: Eligible citizens who interact with government agencies are registered to vote unless they decline, and agencies transfer voter registration information electronically to election officials. These two changes create a seamless process that is more convenient and less error-prone for both voters and government officials.
Modernize Voter Registration & Accessibility
- I support automatic voter registration.
- I support designating election day as a state holiday.
- I support 16 and 17 year old citizens to be pre-registered to vote in federal elections.
- I will replace antiquated voting machines and support innovation with up to date technology.
- I will expand mail-in ballot elections and will support measures of secure paper ballot tracking.
- I will extend voter registration periods and support same day voter registration.
- I will improve the voting process for individuals with disabilities.
- I will adopt an innovative electronic registration process of verifying voter eligibility from databases across the country.
Advance Economic & Civic Responsibility
- I support reducing the waiting time for individuals with criminal backgrounds to vote.
- I will simplify opportunities to start and do business in Nebraska.
- I will strengthen agricultural relationships and promote commodity exports.
- I will promote commerce, educational studies and cultural exchanges between Nebraska and the world.
- I will streamline business services online platforms.
- I will prioritize public safety and commit to restorative justice measures.
- I will promote youth engagement and civic education.
- Good citizen program – designated state day of community and civic volunteering
- Future leaders program – designated state day for students to engage with candidates and current elected officials of all political backgrounds to discuss issues, platforms, and responsibilities of elected offices.
Preserve Election Integrity & Security
- I support common sense nonpartisan redistricting measures.
- I will secure Nebraska’s voter data and the data manipulation from both foreign and domestic interference.
- I will partner with County Election officers and the Nebraska Legislature to streamline voter authentication of voter rolls.
- I will safeguard clean and accurate voter rolls.
- I will partner with county election officials to ensure seamless election day preparation.
- I will test and validate machine accuracy and election security before and after election day.
- I will replace antiquated voting machines and systems with up-to-date technology and processes.
- I will protect and deter acts of fraud.
- Cyberspace interference
- Message manipulation
- Penalize those who commit egregious acts of voter fraud